With summer just around the corner, it’s time to revamp your wardrobe with short sleeve tees and plenty of denim shorts to get you through the hot months. But there’s another important factor to consider when it comes to your summer style: your summer scent! Just as we change our clothes to fit the summer season, we also need to update our go-to fragrance to fit the sunny weather. Whether you’re a fan of sweet perfumes that remind you of days at camp toasting marshmallows around the campfire, or tend to opt for simpler cotton scents that are reminiscent of a day at the beach, there are so many scents to choose from to find the perfect perfume for you.
Every fragrance is made up of a series of scent notes that can be divided into three groups: top notes, heart notes, and base notes. When put together, these scent notes make a wonderful, layered, full fragrance.
- Top Notes: Top notes are the first scents you’ll discover when sniffing a fragrance. They tend to be lighter scents, and are usually the first to fade when wearing a perfume. However, that doesn’t mean they’re not important: top notes act as a fragrance’s first impression, they’re what draw you into a scent and make you want to try it.
- Some Common Top Note Scents: Bergamot, Lemon, Lavender, Orange
- Heart Notes: Heart notes or “middle notes” act as the base of any fragrance. Just as our heart is responsible for most of our bodily functions, the same goes for heart notes in a fragrance as they make up the majority of a perfume’s overall smell.
- Some Common Top Note Scents: Rose, Jasmine, Cinnamon, Nutmeg
- Base Notes: While top notes act as a first impression to a fragrance, the base notes are the juicy details you get after sitting with it for a while. Base notes add depth and complexity to a fragrance, and typically shine through after the top notes you smell have evaporated.
- Some Common Top Note Scents: Patchouli, Vanilla, Sandalwood, Tonka bean
Once you’ve figured out what kind of scents you like, you can search for fragrances that suit your personal preference. This can also be an opportunity to broaden your perfume horizons and choose different scents for different occasions. You wouldn’t wear a pair of sneakers to a wedding ceremony; er go, you’ll likely need a few scents to pair accordingly with the events that might pop up in your life. For an airy summer backyard party, you could go with a more fruity, floral fragrance; meanwhile, for an evening out at your favorite rooftop bar, you could go for a more earthy, sandalwood scent. You could even consider True Pheromones for cultivating trust, respect, and relationships. Once you’ve decided the kind of scents you’re into, the fun is exploring how you can incorporate a variety of them into your routine!
While you might be able to read reviews when shopping for clothes to decide whether you want to buy them, the best way to decide what perfume is right for you is to try it on! But, buying whole size bottles of a fragrance you’ve never tried can be costly, and a huge bummer if it turns out you don’t like the scent. Luckily, most perfume brands will allow you to try a sample of a fragrance before you buy it. In some cases, a company will send you the full-size bottle of the perfume you’re trying along with a sample size. That way, you can test out the perfume with the sample for a few days, decide if it’s your new fave, and if not, you can send the full-size bottle back free of charge.
Getting samples is a great way to try new scents, and broaden your fragrance horizons. Who knows, you might even find your new fave fragrance by giving an unexpected sample a chance. Another great thing about samples is that you can share and swap them with friends; you may find you and your bestie are total fragrance twins. It’s a great way to share your favorite fragrances and get a conversation started about the scents you adore.
Finding the right perfume can seem daunting if you’ve never considered wearing a fragrance before. But, having a go-to fragrance is like having a favorite necklace that you wear all the time: it’s essential to accessorizing. In fact, having a few fragrances you like is even better, as you can mix and match them with different outfits, moods, or occasions. The key to finding the perfect perfume for you is by experimenting: try out perfumes with different scent notes and see which are your faves. Are you a lover of light, floral, sweet perfumes or darker, more musky scents? Luckily, many perfume brands will be happy to give you a variety of samples to try to figure out just which perfume is right for you. What are your favorite summer fragrances?
Thanks to snif.co for consulting.