Why do you Need to Use a Cabinet Hardware Jig?
When it comes to installing hardware at home, such as cabinets, it’s important that you use a cabinet hardware jig. It will make your life easier, and it will let you finish the job on time. But there are different hardware jigs available right now. Does this mean you just pick any of them and still get the same results? This article will help you understand why you need cabinet hardware jigs and how to choose the right one. But first, let’s find out what a hardware jig is, and what it does.
What is a cabinet hardware jig, and what does it do?
A cabinet hardware jig is a basic device that many people use in drill mounting holes for knobs with one or two-stem pulls. The purpose of a hardware jig is to control the location and the motion of the parts or other tools and act as a tool guide. It offers repeatability, interchangeability, and accuracy, which are very important during the assembly or manufacturing process. There are different types of cabinet hardware jigs, and each has a different function.
Below are the different types of cabinet hardware jigs and their specific functions:
- Printed Circuit Board (PCB) jigs – They have a dump board inside. People use them when they want to test printed circuit boards.
- Drill jigs – People use them when they need to drill repetitive holes on interchangeable work parts. Drill jigs help in guiding the drilling bit into the exact location of the hole center.
- Cabinet hardware jigs – Some people use them when doing a DIY job, or when they’re refurbishing or renovating their kitchen.
- Jewelry jigs – People use jewelry jigs to handle softer wires up to ¼ inch in diameter and steel. These jigs are perfect for making beading components and any kind of jewelry.
Why do you need a cabinet hardware jig?
Typically, a cabinet hardware jig is exceptionally manufactured, with the precision of an aircraft part. Everything is solid and useful in any of the movable parts. Every part has a great hold.
Moreover, the jig can do almost everything. It can shelf holes and minimize the time it needs to find the hole centers. You just need to set it up and do as many drawers as you want. For taller cabinets, you can use a cabinet hardware jig in doing long runs of shelf holes. A hardware jig has more to offer, and you can quickly fit handles up to 960 mm long.
If you need to finish a lot of work, and still save an incredible amount of time, then a cabinet hardware jig is the best for you. It will make any hardware installation very easy for you, with 100% accuracy. If you know how to choose the right cabinet hardware jigs, then you’ll be able to choose one that lasts for a long time. Some of them may be a bit expensive, but if they have the features you need, they should be worth every penny.
The best cabinet hardware jigs should include an extender ruler attachment, which allows for quicker hardware installation on drawers. They should also include large handles and tall doors, to eliminate the need to center them on every drawer. They should also come with a complete hardware drilling solution. These features are what make them very useful for any homeowner who wants to install hardware.
Below are the benefits you’ll get when you use the right cabinet hardware jig:
- Cabinet hardware jigs allow the installation of up to 960 mm cabinet handles.
- They provide a stop for drawer fonts up to 42” wide.
- They are easy to use and offer 100% accuracy to eliminate drilling mistakes
- Cabinet hardware jigs with a rigid plastic case and steel clasps make them very easy to transport.
- They are long-lasting and durable.
- They are robust to proficient standards.
How to choose the right cabinet hardware jig
There are different factors that you should consider if you want to choose the right cabinet hardware jig. These are: convenience, durability, and features.
- Convenience – The jig should help you save more time, compared to other hardware jigs. Usually, the cheaper jigs work fine, but you’ll end up spending a lot of time with the measuring and setting up so you can get decent results. When choosing the best hardware jig, make sure that you do your research well, instead of settling for the cheaper ones. It doesn’t make sense to buy a cheap one if you’ll end up spending too much time using it. A good jig must help you find the center easier, instead of having to measure the center carefully every time you set up.
- Durability – You’ll be using the kit a lot, so make sure to choose the ones that can last the time and distance. Choose well-reinforced hole templates when looking for cabinet hardware jigs. Steel-reinforced jigs are better that aluminum because they last longer.
- Features – When shopping for cabinet hardware jigs, durability and convenience aren’t the only things you should remember. Not all hardware jigs are the same, so make sure that you pay attention to what equipment is in the box. Choose the one that best fits your purpose. There will be times when you think you’ll just need the basic set, but choosing this set will require you buy additional parts for different tasks.
Depending on your needs, you can just stick to the ones that come with the basic price. You don’t have to dismiss packages that will require you to buy other parts. This can help you save cash if you only need the jigs to install and set up a certain type of hardware. This means that you won’t need to buy the equipment for it to just sit in the workshop.
A cabinet hardware jig can do so many things for you, but it doesn’t mean you can just pick whatever is available. If you want to make the installation perfect on your first try, check out True Position now. Thanks to True Position for consulting on this post!