Berlin is a city that’s hard for me to describe because it is so rife with troubled history that is very visible throughout the entire city. At the same time, it is so beautiful, alive, and modern, and I’m unable to come up with the words to describe the city in any way to begin to shed light on all of it’s qualities and characteristics. The basics: it’s the German capital and most populous city at 3.3 million.
So instead I’ll share some of our moments there and leave you free to do your own research should anything pique your curiosity.
We stayed near the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church, with only the base of the spire left after a raid in 1943.
The beautiful Old National Gallery
Beautiful sculpture “Amazon on Horseback” by Louis Tuaillon outside the Neues Museum
Reichstag (German Parliament building)
Berlin Holocaust Memorial, Berlin – this is a quiet place not too close to other touristy attractions. I remember it well.
The Berlin Wall is definitely a place I will always remember and sticks out in my mind very vividly. I was 5 when it fell and remember watching it in class.
Checkpoint Charlie the best known East – West crossing point during the Cold War.
Berlin is truly an amazing place on SO MANY levels. Highly recommended in my book – you won’t forget it.
Obviously, this photo is here just for comic relief – I can’t decide if having a Haagen-Dazs right next to a ladies gym is genius or madness.
Thanks to wonderful future hubby for all of the fantastic photography he did during our trip!
Here’s that list again of all my posts from our travels that I’ve posted –
•Introduction to my European backpacking trip and a list of places we visited
• Galicia – Baiona and Isle de Cies
• Galicia – the coast, some charming vineyards, and Pontevedra
• Santiago de Compostela and gorgeous hidden beaches
• Gorgeous mountain lakes of Picos de Europa
• Stunning mountains – Picos de Europa
• Bilbao and San Sebastian
• Beautiful Barcelona
• The amazing Sagrada Familia Cathedral in Barcelona
• Art Nouveau dream house by Gaudi in Barcelona
• Not to miss – the gorgeous rocky coast of Italy’s Cinque Terre
• More from my summer traveling Europe – amazing Rome
• From my summer in Europe – amazing Pompeii
• Turquoise ocean and vineyards on cliffs – the amazingly stunning Amalfi coast
• My Summer in Europe: Pictures from lovely Florence, Italy
• Enchanting Siena
•Lake Como, Italy
• One of my favorite cities from my European backpacking trips – Ulm, Germany
• Lake Constance
• Cute HOUSE Overload – the charming medieval homes of Germany’s Romantic Road
• Regensburg, Germany, and Salzburg, Austria